Marriage Information


All fees must be submitted before services are rendered. Using a credit/debit card has a $1.50 transaction fee.

Marriage Licenses are issued 8:00am to 4:30pm. To expedite the marriage license process, please complete the online application prior to visiting our office. 

Wedding Ceremonies are performed 9:00am to 4:00pm and must be both scheduled and confirmed in advance. Ceremonies will be scheduled hourly, lasting approximately 30 minutes. Ceremonies will not be schedule on election days. Utah Code requires two witnesses over 18. If you are unable to fulfill this requirement, please inform our office and staff members can assist.

Service Fee
Marriage License $50.00
Marriage Ceremony  $40.00
Uncertified Copy $5.00
Document Certification $5.00
Notarial Certificate $5.00
General Copies $0.25
Limited Designee $10.00
Certified Copy $10.00

Validity of Marriage License

  • Marriage licenses may be used immediately upon purchase, but must be used within 32 days from the date of issuance, at which time the license expires.
  • A license issued in Cache County may be used in any county in the state of Utah
  • Refunds and/or extensions CANNOT be granted.
  • If the license is lost, a new one must be purchased for an additional $50 fee.

Who May Solemnize Marriages?

Except for a county clerk, or a county clerk's designee (see next question), the following individuals may solemnize a marriage:

  • An individual 18 years or older who is authorized by a religious denomination to solemnize a marriage;
  • Native American spiritual advisors;
  • governor;
  • the lieutenant governor;
  • mayors of municipalities or county executives;
  • justice, judge, or Commissioner of a court of record;
  • judge of a court not of record of the state;
  • judges or magistrates of the United States;
  • the county clerk of any county in the state or county clerk's designee as authorized by Section 17-20-4;
  • the president of the Senate;
  • the speaker of the House of Representatives; or
  • a judge or magistrate who holds office in Utah when retired, under rules set by the Supreme Court

Who Else May Perform My Wedding Ceremony?

If you know an individual not listed above who you would like to perform your wedding ceremony, please have them complete the Online Designee Form and pay the $10.00 fee to become a limited designee of the Cache County Clerk. This designation is specific to an individual ceremony.

How Do I Amend a Marriage License Application? 

Please print and complete the marriage license amendment form and return it to the County Clerk's Office. Your marriage license application is an official and legal document. Amendments are not common and should only be completed when the original information is incorrect.

What If I Am Unable to Visit the Office In-Person?

Occasionally, individuals are unable to visit our office in-person. Most commonly, this is due to incarceration or illness. Under such circumstances, applicants must complete both the Application to Marry form and the Notary Certificate form. Here are the instructions to the Notary Public: 

  • Notary ensures the applicant(s) have completed the portion of the marriage license application pertaining to them. 
  • Applicant must provide notary with: 1) Current valid photo identification such as a driver license, Utah ID card, passport, etc. Please list the identification presented on the notary certificate; 2) Social security number verification: social security card, w-2 form, tax return, paycheck stub, etc. Please list the identification presented on the notary certificate.
  • Notary has applicant(s) read and attest to the truthfulness of the Oath of Eligibility (item 64 on marriage license application)
  • Notary completes, signs, stamps and attaches the Notary Certificate form to the marriage license application.
  • Applicant then returns completed documents to Cache County Clerk's office 
  • Applicant(s) are responsible to find an officiant and notary

Age Requirements?

Individuals requesting a marriage license who are 16 or 17 years of age must complete the Marriage Application Sections 1 & 2, as well as the Marriage Petition to the Juvenile Court, which must be filed in the First Judicial District Court, located at 135 N 100 W, Logan, Utah 84321.

  • A minor must obtain consent from a parent or legal guardian and Juvenile Court Authorization.  
  • The age difference between both parties to the marriage must be less than seven years.
  • A parent or legal guardian must give sworn consent in person at the time of application, and must provide valid identification in person at the time of application.
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced, consent shall be given by the parent having legal custody of the minor as evidenced by an oath of affirmation.
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced and have been awarded joint custody of the minor, consent shall be given by the parent having physical custody of the minor the majority of the time as evidenced by an oath of affirmation to the clerk.
  • If the minor is not in the custody of a parent, the legal guardian shall provide the consent and provide proof of guardianship by court order as well as an oath of affirmation.
  • Parent/guardian must be present with a valid picture ID to give consent and sign an oath of affirmation.
  • Certified copy of the applicant's Birth Certificate.
  • Social Security Card or valid proof of social security number.

Divorce Records or Questions

Please contact the First District Court at 435-750-1300. 

Who Maintains Utah Marriage Records Performed Prior to 1887?

  • Civil registration of marriages was not required in Utah until 1887;  however, some records of marriages before 1887 are in the justice of the peace or probate court records.  These early marriage records were usually interfiled with other court matters.
  • Some early records are also available in the following Findmypast collection: United States Marriages -- Utah, 1805-1992 ($) index and images
  • Use Pre-1987 Sources listed by Utah Counties in Western States Marriage Records Index.
  • Most of these court records are at the Utah State Archives (see Marriage records Research Guide).  Some are also in the personal journals of individual judges .
  • The Family History Library has pre-1887 court records for a number of Utah counties.
  • Many early marriages were performed in the temples of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Before the government recorded marriages, marriages or sealings were only recorded in temple records.  Other marriages may have been recorded in Church records or journals of the Bishops.
  • For vital records of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints see the Tracing Latter-day Saint Ancestors.

Additional Marriage Preparation Resources?

The Utah Marriage Handbook is provided by the Utah Marriage Commission.